Right now, I would like to discuss something that Rabbi Grunstein mentioned, “The rabbis state clearly that Tisha B’Av is a day of calamity for all generations.”
I already knew several catastrophic occurrences on Tisha B’Av, but Rabbi Grunstein's presentation pushed me to research more (well, you are supposed to think of the sorrows of the Jewish people today).
After doing quite a bit of research, I came up with these. (If they’re off by a year or so, please forgive me. Math is not my strong point.) If you have any more incidents to add, please send them to me in this blog’s comments.
• 1312 (2448 BCE) - After the Exodus from
• 3338 (587 BCE) – The Babylonians under Nebuchadnezzar destroyed the
• 3830 (70 CE) - The Romans under Titus destroyed the
• 3895 (135) - The Romans defeated Bar Kochba's last fortress, Betar, and destroy his army. Six hundred thousand Jews were killed, including Bar Kochba. The Romans renamed
• 3896 (136) – Roman Commander Turnus Rufus plowed the site of the
• 4855 (1095) - Pope Urban II declared the First Crusade. Sixty-thousand bloodthirsty knights marched to
• 5252 (1492) – Spanish rulers Ferdinand and Isabella didn't only send Christopher Columbus to America. They expelled 300,000 Jews from
• 5315 (1555) - Pope Paul IV decreed that the Jews of Rome be forced into a ghetto on this date in July 14, 1555 near the Tiber River (the Jews were forced to pay for the construction of the ghetto walls themselves), and were prohibited from owning property, practicing medicine on Christians and were forced to hear Christian sermons every Shabbat.
• 5579 (1819) : At a time of bad harvests and social unrest, German mobs, crying “Hep, hep!”, rioted against the Jews of Frankfort. The pogroms were “against the emancipation of the Jews and the Jewish bank system”. Even money could not save the Rothschilds whose home was attacked. The riots spread to several neighboring countries. Hep hep: “Some believe that it was the crusaders' rallying cry, derived from the initials of Hierosolyma est perdita (‘
• 5674 (1914) - World War I began with
• 5798 (1938) – Jihad was called against Eretz Yisrael. “The situation in
• 5700 (1940) - Heinrich Luitpold Himmler presents the plan for the "Final Solution" for the destruction of Europe’s Jewish population and oversaw the entire concentration camp system.
• 5701 (1941) - Reinhard Tristan Heydrich, “the Hangman, was ordered to carry out the “Final Solution” for elimination of European Jewry.
There’s a youtube showing these fine looking gentlemen, yemach shemam, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbKBgOZz_pA.
• 5701 (1941) - The SS began their new mission by murdering 600 Jews in
• 5702 (1942) - Nazis begin deporting Jews from the Warsaw Ghetto to Treblinka on the eve of Tisha B'Av 5702, July 23, 1942.
• 5702 (1942) - In the first mass deportation to the gas chambers 10,000 Jews were sent from the Borislave Ghetto to the
• 5733 (1973) – Israel’s Defense Minister errs in believing only in the might of the IDF – “At a lecture to the Staff College, Defense Minister Moshe Dayan told the officer ‘the overall balance of forces is in our favor and this is what decides the question and rules out the immediate renewal of the war.’ These reassuring words would come back to haunt the Israelis when Egypt and Syria would attack two months later in the Yom Kippur War, which almost had disastrous consequences for the survival of the Jewish state. “
• 5754 (1994) Terrorists bombed the Jewish community center in Buenos Aires, killing 86 and wounding 300 others, Monday July 18, 1994.
• 5765 (2005) – The original date that former PM Arik Sharon decreed to destroy the Gush Katif/Northern Shomron communities, but it was carried out a few days later. Ten thousand people became homeless and still suffer from post-traumatic stress syndrome, unemployment and underemployment.
• 5767 (2007) – Unfortunately, anti-Semitism is alive and well, and living in Paris and all over the world. A 23-year-old Jewish woman was attacked in Noisy-le-Grand, near
Thanks to the following websites for their info: