Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Holiday Food Shopping

I did my holiday food shopping today. I'm revising my menu. I'll try to post it tonight. Meanwhile, the store was packed. I waited on line for more than 20 minutes - what a line!!
When I finished paying, the cashier said, "Thank you for being such a wonderful customer. You're always so nice to everyone. You know everyone's name. You can't imagine how much we appreciate it."
Can you imagine??
I was on line for 20 minutes, people shopped, they paid, they left.
I always begin my check-out experience giving the cashier a gigantic smile, because I know I have a full wagon, and she's got a lot of work to do.
Then I unpack and pack (usually, I ask for a packer, and they're always willing to help) and pitter-patter with the cashier about what I'm cooking, and if this item is a good deal, and when I leave I give her a big thank you. It doesn't matter which cashier it is, I chat with them all. I guess most people don't do that. That's a shame. Cashiers work very hard, and they are usually lovely people.
So, today on the eve of Rosh Hashana, this cashier stopped to tell me how much they all appreciate it (I guess they talk amongst themselves). When I finished paying and signing my HAS (Heritage Affinity) credit card slip, I put out my hand to shake the cashier's hand, and she said, "Oh no." And she got off of her cashier's chair, and walked around the counter and gave me a big hug and a kiss.
"We love when you come in and we wish all our customers were like you." I thanked her for the compliment, and then I went up and down the aisle, giving hugs to every cashier. They were so happy. (If you're still shopping tomorrow, please thank your cashier.)
I wished a Shana Tova to the manager and the assistant manager, the box boy, the fruit man, and the security guard. And they were so happy to be acknowledged.
Hooray, when I left they were all cheery. Now the folks in the store will get cheery service, and they'll go home smiling instead of saying, "Oy, I hate shopping. This holiday is making me crazy."
Now, maybe everyone will go home and say, "I had such a great time shopping today. This holiday feeling is really spreading to everyone. I love Rosh Hashana. I wish everyone a good year."
And to you, dear readers, I wish you a good year too.
A year of smiles at cashiers, at clerks, at teachers, at neighbors, at strangers, at friends, at children, at drivers, at bus drivers, at delivery men, at salesmen, at tzedakah folks, at gardeners, at builders, at everyone.

**

A personal note. My dearest mother ad 120 was visiting us, and we used the occasion to take a family portrait. Our friend, and the famous photographer, Gershon Ellinson snapped about 30 photos of our family. Not one was perfect. The baby was squirming. This son was squinting. This child was crying. This one sneezed. This one played with her bow.
So, finally, I thought of an idea. I put together eight different photos - the best of each person or couple or couple of people - and I made one perfect photo.
From my family to you, a healthy, happy, peaceful, successful, safe, and fabulastic new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment