Friday, January 8, 2010

I've Been Invited to Lebanon

Business and new technologies have always been of interest to me, both as a hobby and a way to enter the future along with the rest of the world.
So, when there's a seminar or workshop on new media (like there is on Sunday night,
January 10th, in Efrat, I'm in!!! Sometimes we feel like a slave to new media, but when it can actually help us, I am intrigued and I want to be a part of it. On Sunday night, Avi Abelow, president of NEW ISRAEL MEDIA, a parent company of WEJEW.com, TWOOZER.com, VeoPad.com, etc., will teach a lucky group of business people how to use the new media to help their business grow! Voices Magazine, http://www.voices-magazine.com/ , is a co-sponsor of the evening at the Bagel Place.
And when someone wants to teach me more about Time Management, Negotiation Skills or other business skills, I am ready to join in.
So, when I got an invitation today to attend a series of seminars offered by GMTDC, General Management Training and Development Consultant, I was very interested. They're going to be teaching Presentation & Speaking Skills, Project Manager Skills, Writing a Marketing Plan, Leadership Skills Development, Advanced Selling Techniques, Time Management and Negotiation Skills. This seminar series is for me!!
The topics are just right. The dates are good for me too.
The only problem I see (and I'm not sure how to overcome this) is that the seminar is in Beirut, Lebanon. I was invited to a seminar in Beirut, Lebanon. I would love to go. I want to go. Beirut is only about 95 miles from the Israel-Lebanon border, so I wouldn't have to travel so far. And they have their own Starbucks (as pictured at left), so it's not a backward place.
But I don't think it would be a very friendly environment for me. Actually, the seminar would probably be great, but would I feel safe going to the corner supermarket for rice cakes??
I've been thinking it over, and I've decided that although I am very attracted to the seminar, I think I'd better skip it, until it's in a more sympathetic location.
Actually, I've already check to see if GMTDC was offering their seminars anywhere else. They are - KSA (I didn't know what it was, so I looked it up - Kingdom of Saudi Arabia), Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, and Turkey.
Big disappointment. Although I'm curious to see those countries, I think I'll have to catch a glimlpse of life around the Middle East on YouTube or FoxNews.
I thank the GMTDC for the invitation, and I truly hope that one day the world will be a sincerely peaceful place, and I'll be able to attend one of their seminars safely and securely.
Salam.

2 comments:

  1. dont be so sure you cant (shouldnt) go. Why dont you investigate if other Israelis have gone to conferences or seminars in Beirut. You might be pleasantly suprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've been invited to their seminars in Egypt. Cool.

    ReplyDelete